Saturday, March 28, 2009

Book Review - Next

Hi Y'all. Here's a quick review of Next by Michael Crichton. I finished reading it last weekend but haven't had time to post a review. Overall it was a quick and fun read and even though it was fiction, it adds fuel to my distrust for people using DNA and the legal system. For those who don't know I have this deep seeded and irrational fear that I'm going to be cloned and my clones will be used for evil government doings. Like I said, irrational. Anyway, Next takes on some of today's headlines with different companies trademarking/copyrighting parts of the human genome as well has people's rights to their own DNA. It is a pretty good read mixed with actual and made up news articles about genetic research so it is a bit educational as well as entertaining. A few things that bother me about the book are a) a few chapters with a couple of story threads that never fully develop or conclude and b) typical to a Crichton book, is that it reads like a screenplay. I think Michael Crichton writes everything today with the big screen in mind. Unfortunate since he can tell a good story and shouldn't have to sacrifice the structure of a book to fit to a different medium. That's why Hollywood has screenwriters who adapt novels to the big screen. Anyway, it was a good read and if you are into current events/ "science" fiction, you will enjoy it. Thanks to KT for loaning me the book!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Oh yeah....reading Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded by John Scalzi now. Forgot to follow up with what I'm reading next. I have Anathem by Neal Stephenson on deck and then it's off to Kindle-land.